Saturday, July 4, 2009

Learning With Emotion

I have always wanted to go to New York! It was so fun yesterday beside the fact that we almost missed our train back. We got to see Columbia a little bit, and to tell you the truth, I liked the environment. I liked the whole city thing, and it was a new experience going there. When we got to Ellis Island I had a wave of emotions. I saw pictures of immigrants, brutal camps, the Ku Klux Klan, and other various racial and violent things.

I learned that more than 12 million immigrants passed through Ellis island between 1892 and 1954. Not all immigrants were treated fairly, and others were put into sweatshops, and had a hard time finding jobs. The most amazing thing I saw there was this machine that could tell you exactly how many of each type of race was in each state. It was pretty cool finding out that California has the most Filipino population.

The other thing in New York City that we saw and what got me was Ground Zero. When I got there I just felt a wave of sadness coming over me. I remember that exact day and how it was on every single channel and my mom yelled at me because I couldn't see what the weather was like because of this tragic event. Back then I didn't know what I could do or say to fix anything that happened that day. I still don't know till this day, but I have an idea. Right next to Ground Zero there is going to be a memorial building for all those who died and or helped that day. I want to learn more about it and I want my community to know about it too. I know if I didn't go, I wouldn't have known it existed. Well on a light note, it was an interesting Friday , and July 4th was pretty fun too. Happy 4th of July everybody.

2 comments:

Don Gosney said...

Zack,

You might take a look at some of the comments on the other blogs from both Brown and Columbia as they pertain to some of the things you mentioned in your own blog (it makes us look bad if we repeat the same comments over and over).

You should especially read my comments to Mercedes about Angel Island.

Just out of curiosity, how is it that you almost missed your train?

Charles Tillman Ramsey said...

Thanks Zackery, a very well written post. I hope that you actually got some rest today. I am glad that you are looking at ways to come back and improve your school.

You only have one week left at Brown, so take this time to learn as much as possible. Take a visit to the Admissions Office and learn as much as possible. This will help you as you go through the complicated college admission process.

Enjoy your day.

Charles T. Ramsey, Esq.
School Board Member
West Contra Costa
Unified School District